Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Free Rice

While enjoying a nice newsletter from Jennifer Louden I came across this link to the Good News Network. I have not heard of this before but started perusing through all the GOOD news that is happening on a daily basis on our small blue planet. And for the first time in a long time - when looking at the big picture of things happening - I was happy, excited, gratified, elated, encouraged.

You may wonder what has spurred me on to so many adjectives - and here it is: The FREE RICE GAME. Click to it - it is a vocabulary test of sorts - it gets hard pretty fast but is tremendous because for every word that you define correctly 20 grains of rice are donated to the World Food Program. I played for just a minute and was able to generate 320 grains of rice - which doesn't sound like much but the totals so far are over 6 BILLION (with a B) - which actually does amount to something.

Help feed the hungry of the world and improve your vocabulary too. Click HERE to read the benefits of increasing your vocabulary - which are more impressive than I ever thought while in 9th grade Literature with Ms. Eleanore Woody.

No comments: